- Step 1: Go on a trip Plan a trip that will have you out of town on your birthday. If you don't want to be alone, book an active vacation that involves a group, like a bike, walking, or volunteer tour.
- TIP: If you've been saving your frequent flyer miles but don't have enough for a ticket, consider blowing them on an upgrade to first class.
- Step 2: Or stay home If you can't or don't want to take a trip, plan a decadent day at home. Take the day off from work. Call in sick if you have to.
- Step 3: Revel in your freedom Revel in the knowledge that, for this one day, you can do exactly what you like. You don't have to be anywhere at any particular time.
- Step 4: Buy yourself a present Buy yourself a birthday present. Make it something impractical that you've always wanted.
- Step 5: Have some champagne Have a glass of good champagne somewhere – at the bar of a five-star hotel, in your bathtub, or just in front of the TV.
- Step 6: Savor your favorite dessert Savor your favorite dessert – you know, something you like better than birthday cake.
- Step 7: Make a wish When you turn in, count your blessings. Then make a wish for the coming year.
- FACT: According to a survey, 41 percent of married men take their wives out for their birthdays, while just 29 percent of married women return the favor.
You Will Need
- The day off
- A trip (optional)