- Step 1: Comb hair Comb any tangles out of your hair.
- Step 2: Gather hair at crown Gather your hair at the crown and twist it tightly along the entire length.
- TIP: If your hair is heavy, use bobby pins to hold it in place before inserting the sticks.
- Step 3: Make a bun Twist your hair into a tight bun.
- Step 4: Hold hair in place Hold the bun securely in place at the bottom with one hand.
- TIP: If your hair is especially fine, braid it first.
- Step 5: Push in the stick Using your free hand, insert one stick through the hair at the top left-hand side.
- Step 6: Push through gently Push gently up and down, catching small locks as you go, to end in a slant from top to bottom.
- TIP: Pushing sticks all the way down to the scalp allows for a secure fit.
- Step 7: Insert second stick Push in the other stick, through the right-hand side, perpendicular to the other stick.
- FACT: Hairpins were considered a luxury item in ancient Egypt, and were usually made of ivory, bronze, or hand-carved wood.
You Will Need
- Ponytail-length or longer hair
- A comb
- Two hair sticks
- 5 to 9 inches long
- Bobby pins (optional)