- Step 1: Preheat broiler Preheat your broiler.
- Step 2: Prepare the garlic Mince the garlic gloves with a knife or put them through a press, and then mash them with the side of a heavy knife blade until they are the consistency of paste.
- TIP: You can substitute one teaspoon of garlic paste or one-half teaspoon of garlic powder per garlic clove.
- Step 3: Combine garlic and butter Mix together the garlic, butter, oil, and parsley, if using, until smooth.
- Step 4: Spread on bread Cut the bread in half, lengthwise, and spread the garlic-butter mixture on both halves.
- TIP: Sprinkle grated cheese on top if you like.
- Step 5: Broil Broil until golden brown, about five minutes.
- FACT: Since 1979, Gilroy, California has hosted an annual garlic festival that includes the crowning of a "Miss Gilroy Garlic" queen.
You Will Need
- Four medium garlic cloves
- u00bd stick unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- A loaf of Italian or French bread
- 4 tsp. garlic paste or 2 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan or Romano cheese
- grated (optional)