- Step 1: Pay attention to your gut feelings Take your gut feelings seriously, and pay attention to them. If your gut tells you to stay away from a needy neighbor, heed the advice.
- Step 2: Establish boundaries Be clear about boundaries and what you will and will not tolerate. If a needy neighbor violates your boundaries, let them know as soon as possible.
- Step 3: Stay energized and busy Stay energized. Negative people don't like being around people who maintain a positive outlook, and being too busy to talk will get them looking elsewhere to fulfill their needs.
- TIP: Limit conversations.
- Step 4: Say no Explain to your needy neighbor when they call or drop by that you are busy and can’t visit with them. Be polite but firm before they suck you in.
- FACT: Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood produced more than 870 episodes.
You Will Need
- The ability to say no