- Step 1: Choose a gender Determine whether you want a male or female roommate, and how either will affect your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Decide on an age range Decide the age group a roommate would belong to in order to be compatible with your current lifestyle and life preferences.
- Step 3: Consider personality Decide on a personality type that will work for you, such as laid back and reserved or social and independent. Know what you can tolerate, and don't settle for candidates who don't fit the profile.
- Step 4: Social habits Establish drinking and smoking requirements. Decide whether you can accept a roommate who drinks or smokes, and to what extent you can tolerate these habits.
- TIP: Aim for tolerable – nobody is perfect.
- Step 5: Ask around Put out the word through friends and acquaintances that you are looking for a roommate.
- Step 6: Advertise Place classified ads in local papers, on community boards, and on the web. Use paper and markers to make fliers and hang them in local establishments.
- FACT: Having a roommate of a different race can reduce prejudice, diversify friendships, and boost academics.
You Will Need
- An understanding of what you want in a roommate
- Knowledge of your own boundaries
- A computer with internet access
- Magic markers