- Step 1: Shut down computer Shut down your computer and remove the mouse from the USB port.
- Step 2: Remove track ball Flip the mouse over and twist the track ball cover to remove the ball. Tap the mouse on your hand or tabletop to remove the ball.
- Step 3: Wipe off track ball Wipe the ball with a clean, damp cloth.
- Step 4: Clean mouse components Clean the track ball compartment with a dry cloth. Use your fingernail, tweezers, or a razor to remove anything that’s caked on.
- : Be careful not to dislodge any tiny wires or components.
- Step 5: Replace track ball and cover Replace the track ball and cover.
- Step 6: Clean exterior Wipe down the outside of the mouse, including the cable, with a cloth sprayed with cleaner.
- TIP: If you use a wireless mouse, you only need to clean the outside, not the internal components.
- Step 7: Turn on computer Plug the USB cable back in and turn on the computer. Once it’s up and running, use your mouse to make sure you’re back in business.
- FACT: The computer mouse celebrated its 40th birthday in December of 2008.
You Will Need
- A damp cloth
- A dry cloth
- A razor
- Spray cleaner