- Step 1: Contact the orchard Contact the apple orchard to confirm the apples are ripe and ready for picking.
- TIP: Bring a ladder if the trees are full-size.
- Step 2: Select ripe apples Select firm, crisp, ripe apples without bruises.
- TIP: Ask the farmer for advice on what apples are ripe.
- Step 3: Twist the apple stem Twist the stem upward until the apple breaks from the branch. Do not pull the apple downward from the tree.
- Step 4: Place apples in a container Gingerly place your apples in the bucket. Bruised apples will rot more quickly.
- Step 5: Store apples in a cool place Store your apples in a cool, dark place where they will not freeze, ideally in a spot with high humidity. Properly stored apples will provide healthy snacks for weeks.
- FACT: Apples are a member of the rose family.
You Will Need
- Apple orchard
- Ladder (optional)