- Step 1: Determine what role you’d like to play Determine what role you’d like to play, including actor, lighting technician, costume designer, usher, or advertising marketer.
- Step 2: Search the internet Search the internet for local theaters. Enter your city, state, and the words "stage theaters" in a search engine.
- Step 3: Scan the newspapers Scan the newspapers. Your local paper will list current productions.
- Step 4: Visit local theaters Visit local theaters. Attend performances, ask questions, take a backstage tour, and find out what types of shows each theater produces.
- Step 5: Find out the requirements Find out the requirements for joining. You might have to pay dues.
- TIP: If you're interested in ushering, try professional companies. You’ll get to see top-notch productions for free.
- Step 6: Be a team player Bring your team-player attitude. If you let them know you’re no prima donna, you may just find a home away from home.
- FACT: Did you know? America’s first theater was established in 1716 in Williamsburg, Virginia.
You Will Need
- A role to play
- A computer with internet access
- A local newspaper
- Good communication skills
- A team player attitude