- Step 1: Pick the right size Pick the right size handbag for your outfit. Large handbags go with casual outfits, while small clutches are suited for eveningwear.
- Step 2: Choose the correct color Choose a color-coordinating handbag rather than a perfectly matching one. If you’re wearing a multi-colored outfit, a single-colored bag is best, and vice versa. If you’re wearing all one color, choose a bright bag for a pop of contrast.
- TIP: Black is ideal for an outfit with a bright, printed pattern.
- Step 3: Match the material Match the material of the bag to your outfit. Pair light, summery clothing with a straw bag or tote and pair evening attire with heavier metallic or crystal-covered bags. Leather is the most versatile bag material.
- Step 4: Consider the form Consider the form and shape of the bag. A hobo or messenger bag will complement casual, weekend dress while a tailored bag is better suited to business attire.
- Step 5: Set your budget Set a budget for your bag. Handbags can range from lifetime investment pieces to trendy disposables, so consider the importance of the event and how often you’ll be using the bag.
- FACT: The Hermes Birkin bag – named after model and singer Jane Birkin – starts at $7,000.
You Will Need
- An eye for color
- Knowledge of handbag styles
- A budget