- : Do not attempt this pose if you are pregnant or suffer from a hernia or a neck or back injury.
- Step 1: Lie on back Lie on your back with your spine straight, your arms and legs extended out and relaxed.
- Step 2: Lift pelvis Lift your pelvis off the floor slightly as you slide your hands under your butt, palms down. Allow your butt to rest on top of your hands, with your forearms tucked in to your sides.
- Step 3: Raise upper body Inhale and bend your elbows, pressing your forearms down to help lift your back up, raising your chest, head, shoulders, upper back and upper arms off the floor.
- Step 4: Drop head Drop your head back, allowing the top of your head to rest on the mat. Your weight should remain mostly on your elbows.
- TIP: If you feel any strain in your neck or throat, lower your back slightly or put a folded towel under your neck and back for more support.
- Step 5: Hold pose Hold this pose for a several relaxed breaths.
- TIP: To vary the pose, slowly raise your arms off the mat and bring them in front of your chest, palms touching.
- Step 6: Release pose Release the pose by returning your arms or legs to the ground if either are lifted, and then ease yourself out of the arch to bring your upper back down to the ground. Eat fish for dinner and consider yourself a paragon of health.
- FACT: In Hinduism, the fish is a symbol of Vishnu the Creator, who is said to have taken the form of a gold fish to save the world from a great flood.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded towel