- Step 1: Borrow a bill Ask to borrow a dollar from someone.
- Step 2: Fold it Hold it up horizontally, snapping it noisily to show it's whole. Fold it in half vertically, through the head of the president.
- Step 3: Tear it Start tearing (yes, really tear) the bill at the fold. Go down about an inch.
- TIP: Try to tear along a line or pattern on the bill.
- Step 4: Pinch it When you reach the end of the tear, use your thumb to secretly fold and hold the torn section against the back of the bill, away from the audience. Now pretend to rip off the bit with your right fingers.
- TIP: Pinching the bill hard with your fingers while you pull them away will make a false "ripping" sound.
- Step 5: Chew Put the imaginary torn piece in you mouth and chew with gusto.
- TIP: Forget manners -- go ahead and talk as if your mouth is full!
- Step 6: Snap After you've "swallowed," hold the bill in front of your face and snap it open horizontally, while blowing from behind.
- TIP: Keep the bill taut and the tear will line up -- and the bill will seem to be restored!
- Step 7: Switch Tell your volunteer the dollar was delicious, and put it in your wallet. When she objects, pull out the duplicate bill.
- FACT: Banks are instructed to refuse torn bills.
You Will Need
- A dollar bill
- A duplicate bill of the same value in your pocket or wallet