- Step 1: List goals and values List your career goals and personal values on a piece of paper. Consider how you fit with a company, what energizes you, and what you need to survive and thrive in a career.
- TIP: Take assessment instruments like the Myers-Briggs to focus on the kind of people and work that are right for you.
- Step 2: Write accomplishments Write down your accomplishments and personal strengths. Evaluate your transferable skills, such as leadership qualities and verbal communication.
- Step 3: Research and interview Research companies online. Interview friends and associates from other fields for their perspectives on different opportunities and work environments.
- TIP: Recruiters can help you find a new career opportunity
- Step 4: Analyze companies Analyze the characteristics, profiles, and goals of companies and positions that match your professional aspirations and make a game plan.
- Step 5: Network to find a fit Use your network of friends, family, former colleagues, and business associates to gain access to decision makers in targeted companies.
- Step 6: Execute the plan Craft a brief, well-written cover letter to illustrate your professionalism and communication skills. Get your resume read by human resources and secure an interview.
- Step 7: Interview and negotiate Interview for the job with confidence. Explain why you are changing careers, and ask lots of questions. Negotiate to land at the high end of a fair price range for your services.
- FACT: Did you know? Experts assert that up to 70 percent of jobs are acquired through personal referrals.
You Will Need
- A pen and paper
- Internet access
- Friends and associates