- Step 1: Find the source Inspect your home for larvae or shed skin. Carpet beetles like to feed in dark, secluded areas. If the infestation is contained, remove infested material.
- Step 2: Vacuum frequently Vacuum your carpets, drapes, closets, and under furniture frequently. Eggs that are laid indoors occur in lint accumulations.
- TIP: Vacuum along baseboards and edges of carpeting where carpet beetles like to feed.
- Step 3: Prevent entry Prevent entry by checking your windows and air ducts for openings.
- Step 4: Apply pesticides Apply pesticides as a last resort. Bedding and clothing should not be sprayed, and read all labels before applying.
- TIP: Check with a pest control company to find out the risks of using pesticides in the home.
- Step 5: Contact pest control Call your local pest control if you want an experienced professional to remove the pests.
- FACT: Did you know? Not all beetles are household pests – ladybugs are considered good luck in many cultures.
You Will Need
- A vacuum
- A pest control company (optional)