- Step 1: Kneel down Kneel down with your toes and knees together and your shins and the tops of your feet resting on the mat.
- Step 2: Sit on heels Sit back so your spine is straight and your butt is resting between your heels.
- Step 3: Place hands on knees Place your hands on your knees.
- TIP: If this is difficult, place a towel or cushioning in between your thighs and calves to elevate your butt. Your knees may eventually allow this pose, but do not strain them.
- Step 4: Hold pose Hold this pose for a few minutes.
- TIP: To strengthen the pelvic muscles, carefully recline back—without moving your legs—until your back, shoulders, and head are resting on the mat behind you.
- Step 5: Release pose Release the pose by bringing your hands to your sides and straightening your legs one at a time.
- FACT: The Hindu sky god Indra is depicted as a four-armed man on a white elephant carrying a thunderbolt.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded blanket
- A folded towel