- Step 1: Open kit Open your hair-dye kit and become familiar with its contents. Read any warnings or precautions before starting.
- TIP: Before using any hair coloring product, test a small area of your scalp to check for allergies according to the package directions.
- Step 2: Set up Set up your workstation near a sink, being sure to wear an old t-shirt and using a towel you don't mind staining.
- TIP: Natural hair dye does not contain bleaching agents such as ammonia but will stain on contact.
- Step 3: Mix Mix your tint with the included developer following the directions on the package.
- Step 4: Apply Put on your latex gloves and apply the mixture to your roots. Use a wide-tooth comb to evenly distribute the coloring through your hair.
- Step 5: Massage Massage the dye into your hair using your fingertips and allow it to set according to the directions.
- TIP: Use an egg timer to avoid over exposure and don't get distracted with other activities.
- Step 6: Rinse Rinse your hair thoroughly with a gentle shampoo such as baby shampoo.
- Step 7: Style Style your hair as desired. The full effect of the dye will take 24 to 48 hours to develop, so be patient.
- FACT: Natural hair-dye kits account for just ten percent of the hair coloring market - about $1.25 billion annually.
You Will Need
- A natural hair-dye kit
- An old t-shirt
- An old towel
- Latex gloves
- A wide-tooth comb
- A gentle shampoo
- An egg timer (optional)