- Step 1: Put eggs in water Put the eggs in the pot and fill it with cold water until there is about two inches of water above the eggs.
- Step 2: Boil With the burner on high, bring the water to a boil and let the eggs boil for seven minutes.
- TIP: For soft-boiled eggs, boil the eggs for four minutes instead of seven.
- Step 3: Prepare an ice bath About five minutes after the eggs have been cooking at a boil, put a tray of ice cubes into a bowl of cold water.
- Step 4: Submerge eggs in bath Once the eggs are finished, remove them with a slotted spoon and put them in the ice water.
- TIP: Don’t overcook the eggs or else you’ll get a green ring around the yolk, which will become chalky, and the whites will have a rubbery consistency.
- Step 5: Let eggs chill Let the eggs sit in the ice water for five minutes and then drain the remaining ice and water.
- Step 6: Refill bowl Refill the bowl with room temperature water.
- Step 7: Crack eggs Crack each egg on a hard surface and submerge it in the fresh water, peeling the shell from the egg underwater.
- TIP: Another way to remove the shell quickly is to break off the ends of an eggshell and then blow the egg from one end out the other.
- Step 8: Rinse Rinse each egg under cool, fresh water and serve.
- FACT: According to the Bible, the chicken came before the egg.
You Will Need
- A pot to boil water
- A medium bowl
- A tray of ice cubes
- A slotted spoon