- : Never get under the car supported solely by a jack.
- Step 1: Prepare the vehicle Turn the engine off, put the car in park, and set the parking brake. Place tire blocks behind the front and rear tires on one side of the vehicle.
- TIP: For manual transmissions put the car in gear.
- Step 2: Loosen lug nuts Loosen the lug nuts with a torque wrench on the front and rear tires on the side of the car opposite the blocks.
- Step 3: Raise the vehicle Raise the vehicle with a jack and lower the vehicle onto the jack stands.
- Step 4: Remove tires Remove the lug nuts and front and rear tires.
- TIP: Inspect the tread on the tires. Most manufacturers build wear indicators into their tires, so if the tread is as low as the indicator, replace the tire.
- Step 5: Mount the tires Mount the tire formerly in the rear on the front and vice versa.
- Step 6: Secure lug nuts Hand-tighten the lug nuts first, and then secure them with the torque wrench. Tighten lug nuts working diagonally in a star pattern.
- Step 7: Lower the vehicle and repeat steps Lower the vehicle and repeat the previous steps on the other side of the vehicle.
- FACT: Did you know? Properly inflated tires are not only safer and last longer, they will increase your gas mileage by up to three percent.
You Will Need
- Tire blocks
- A torque wrench
- A jack
- Jack stands
- Muscle power