- Step 1: Determine your hair type Determine your hair type, which can range from fine hair that is straight and silky, to coarse hair that is curly or wiry. Most hair falls between these two extremes.
- TIP: When determining your hair type, base it on your hair's natural tendencies, not your preferred style.
- Step 2: Assess your hairstyling needs Assess your hairstyling needs. If you blow-dry, curl, or straighten your hair, you'll need a special brush.
- Step 3: Choose a basic brush Choose a brush. Use a padded paddle brush for medium to long hair, but if you have very short hair, you may not need a brush.
- Step 4: Choose a comb Choose a comb. A pick or wide-toothed comb works well to detangle coarse hair. Those with short, fine hair can use a finer-toothed comb.
- TIP: Detangle coarse hair and separate curls with your fingers
- Step 5: Choose a styling brush Choose a styling brush. For quick blow-drying, use a vented brush. To create body and waves or smooth frizziness, use a rounded brush with nylon or natural bristles.
- Step 6: Look for quality Look for quality. Brushes should have comfortable, ergonomic handles, and nylon bristles should have molded, round tips. Plastic combs should be free of seams that can snag hair.
- FACT: Did you know? The first vented, synthetic-bristled hairbrush was patented by American Lydia Newman in 1898.
You Will Need
- Your hair type
- Your styling needs