- Step 1: Find an employment counselor Determine your goals and learn about the market with the help of an employment counselor. Be willing to start at the bottom.
- Step 2: Research professions Research job openings and focus on advertised requirements. Create a resume listing your accomplishments and qualities that match what employers want.
- Step 3: Request informational interviews Request informational interviews to get known and learn what is expected to be successful in their field. Ask your friends for contacts they might have.
- TIP: Networking is a great way to get a job.
- Step 4: Apprentice yourself Apprentice yourself to a tradesman, working for low wages or for free to learn skills in a field, and earn the trust that leads to referrals when opportunity knocks.
- TIP: Attitude is critical. Have a strong work ethic.
- Step 5: Work your way up Choose industries that will allow you to work your way into management, such as mining, manufacturing, sales, construction, and transportation.
- Step 6: Get certified Take certification courses to be licensed in a field where you can later rise into management based on work performance and experience.
- FACT: Microsoft founder Bill Gates and music and film producer David Geffen never earned college degrees.
You Will Need
- An employment counselor
- A targeted resume
- Interviewing skills
- Personal contacts
- An apprenticeship
- Networking skills (optional)