- Step 1: Read everything Read everything you can get your hands on with a dictionary at hand for unfamiliar words.
- Step 2: Look up words every day Look up a word in the dictionary each day. Once you comprehend usage and correct pronunciation, write it down, and memorize it.
- Step 3: Note words for later use Listen to conversations and jot unfamiliar words in a notepad. Look the word up, and use it in conversation.
- TIP: Flashcards with word definitions are a quick way to practice sounds, pronunciations, and meanings.
- Step 4: Write sentences Write words in a sentence; then read them aloud to retain them.
- Step 5: Play word games Play word games which build your vocabulary while you’re enjoying competition and having fun.
- TIP: Access online resources for daily word challenges and fun vocabulary exercises.
- Step 6: Group words by theme Group words and meanings specific to fields of interest or themes.
- FACT: Did you know? Reading 15 minutes a day translates into one million words a year.
You Will Need
- A dictionary
- A notepad
- A computer with internet access