- Step 1: Prep your hair Start with slightly dirty hair; freshly washed locks are difficult to control.
- Step 2: Make a high ponytail Brush or comb your hair into a very high ponytail on top of your head, and secure it with a ponytail holder.
- TIP: Spray the ponytail with hairspray to make the subsequent styling hold more easily.
- Step 3: Make some waves Taking a small section of ponytail at a time, create soft curls with either a curling iron or hot rollers.
- TIP: To make a braided topknot, braid the ponytail sections instead of curling them.
- Step 4: Let curls cool Let the curls cool for a few minutes.
- Step 5: Make loops Using your fingers, make a loop out of each curled or braided section, tucking the tip under the ponytail base and securing with a bobby pin.
- Step 6: Spray again Give your style staying power with a final spritz of hairspray.
- FACT: Did you know? The fabric and elastic ponytail holder known as a "scrunchie" was actually given the name Scunci by its inventor, who named it after her dog.
You Will Need
- Medium length or longer hair
- A brush or comb
- A ponytail holder
- A curling iron or hot rollers
- Bobby pins