- Step 1: Measure the width Measure the width of the window using a tape measure.
- Step 2: Lay the fabric down and measure Lay the fabric face down. Measure a section that is two and a half times the width of the window, plus two inches for seam allowance.
- TIP: Marking your measurements with chalk, before cutting your fabric, will keep your valance accurately sized.
- Step 3: Measure the length Measure how long you want the valance to be. Double that measurement, add 3 inches for seam allowance, and cut the fabric.
- Step 4: Measure a hem Measure a 1-inch hem on both sides of the valance, pin the fabric, and then sew it in place, removing the pins as you sew.
- Step 5: Fold in half Fold the valance in half lengthwise, right sides facing out.
- TIP: The fold should be at the bottom of the valance.
- Step 6: Measure and sew a one-inch hem Measure a 1-inch hem from the top of the valance, pin, and sew in place, removing the pins as you sew.
- Step 7: Measure and stitch Measure 2 inches below the stitched hem line you just sewed, and mark it with chalk. Sew along the chalk line, creating a pocket for a curtain rod.
- FACT: Did you know? The first thread specifically for sewing machines was developed in 1866.
You Will Need
- A tape measure
- Straight pins
- Chalk (optional)