- Step 1: Have a comprehensive dilated eye exam Have your eyes checked under dilation by an eye-care professional.
- Step 2: Eat a healthy diet Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Dark leafy greens and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like olive oil and flax seed, contribute to good eye health.
- Step 3: Watch your weight Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight raises your risk of developing diabetes, which can cause vision loss.
- Step 4: Don’t smoke Avoid smoking, which has been linked to several diseases that can cause blindness.
- Step 5: Wear sunglasses outdoors Protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays with sunglasses.
- TIP: If you work at a computer, reduce eyestrain by looking off in the distance every 20 minutes for approximately 20 seconds.
- Step 6: Pay attention to your family history Determine whether you are at risk of developing a hereditary eye disease by tracking your family’s health history.
- FACT: Did you know? By age 65, one in three persons has a vision-impairing condition. By age 80, the percentage climbs to 50 percent.
You Will Need
- An eye-care professional
- Fruits and vegetables
- UV-protective sunglasses
- Family medical history