- Step 1: Breathe Sit with your back straight in a quiet space and take several deep, slow, controlled breaths. Actively breathe in, and slowly and passively breathe out.
- Step 2: Visualize Visualize the first, or root chakra, at the base of the spine. The second is in the reproductive area; the third is in the solar plexus; then the heart; the throat; between the eyes; and at the crown of the head.
- TIP: The sixth chakra is known as the "third eye" and is the center of insight.
- Step 3: Know chakra properties Know the function associated with each chakra. The first is instinct, then creativity, power, love, communication, insight, and, finally, higher consciousness.
- Step 4: Focus energy Focus your energy on the root chakra. Visualize the color red, which is associated with this chakra, as a swirling ball of energy. With each breath, imagine the light growing brighter.
- TIP: Repeat a life-affirming mantra while focusing on each chakra.
- Step 5: Repeat Focus one by one on the remaining chakras, visualizing an orange ball for the second chakra; then a yellow ball; a green ball; blue; indigo; and violet.
- TIP: Meditate with a chakra banner -- a wall-hanging showing the succession and color of the chakras -- or use chakra crystals.
- Step 6: Repeat vibrational sound Repeat the vibrational sound associated with each chakra to release blocked energy. The first chakra's sound is "lam," then "vam," "ram," "yam," "ham," "sham," and, finally, "aum."
- FACT: "Chakra" is derived from the Sanskrit word meaning "wheel."
You Will Need
- Controlled breathing
- Knowledge of chakra properties
- Focused energy
- Vibrational sound
- Mantra (optional)
- Chakra banner (optional)
- Chakra crystals (optional)