- Step 1: Set out the chopsticks Set out the chopsticks, unseparated, next to one another, alternating wide ends to tapered ends, to form a rectangle.
- Step 2: Lay out the design Lay out the final design by pulling out the wide ends of the chopsticks about three inches from the top and bottom. This creates a solid, five-inch strip in the middle.
- Step 3: Measure Measure the middle strip and cut out a piece of sturdy fabric to act as a backing.
- TIP: Burlap is a good, sturdy fabric that is also cheap.
- Step 4: Glue on fabric Glue the piece of fabric onto the middle section only, and then let it dry for a few hours.
- Step 5: Repeat Repeat steps one through four for each additional placemat you want to make.
- FACT: Did you know? About 45 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks are used in China alone every year.
You Will Need
- Forty pairs chopsticks
- A ruler
- A piece of sturdy fabric
- Craft glue
- Burlap (optional)