- Step 1: Draw body and head shapes Draw an upside-down triangle to represent her shoulders to her waist, and then a right side-up triangle whose top point overlaps the bottom point of the first triangle by about a third to be her waist to her hips. Add an oval on top of the shoulders for her head.
- Step 2: Add legs and feet Add two legs extending from the bottom of the lower triangle and attach small elongated ovals for feet.
- TIP: Every girl has an individual shape and proportion with thinner arms and larger hips than men.
- Step 3: Add arms and neck Add a thin rectangle extending from each shoulder. For bent arms, divide the rectangles into upper arms, elbows, and lower arms. Connect the head to the shoulders with a small, thin trapezoid.
- Step 4: Refine the form Round your shapes and refine the contours of your drawing, adding two half circles on the chest for breasts. Erase the unnecessary guidelines.
- Step 5: Add face and hair Divide the face oval in half vertically and horizontally, and draw eyes along the center horizontal line, one on either side of the vertical line. Add a nose along the vertical line, and a mouth below the nose, bisecting the vertical line. Then erase your guidelines and add outer and inner hairlines.
- TIP: Use sweeping strokes when sketching hair, following the natural direction of growth.
- Step 6: Add clothing Give your girl style by adding clothing, jewelry and shoes.
- Step 7: Add shading Add shading to shadowed areas to create a realistic look.
- FACT: Did you know? In the 19th century, Sioux women decorated their clothes with porcupine quills.
You Will Need
- A graphite pencil
- An eraser