- Step 1: Grab their arm Using both of your hands, grab onto the arm that is choking you.
- Step 2: Shrug your shoulders Now shrug your shoulders while at the same time pointing your head down, so your chin is nestled in the crook of their elbow. Sink forward.
- Step 3: Trap their leg Next, swing your leg – the one that's on the side of the arm strangling you – behind their leg and hook your calf around their calf.
- TIP: Make sure you really trap their leg with yours, as opposed to just lightly placing it behind their leg.
- Step 4: Turn around Make a sharp, 180-degree turn in the direction of the arm that's choking you, and then pull the assailant across your body.
- Step 5: Escape Make your getaway.
- FACT: Women who learn self-defense skills have higher self-esteem, according to a study.
You Will Need
- Martial-arts techniques