- Step 1: Sketch a design Using a pair of your own glasses, lay one of the earpieces flat on a 20-inch piece of sketch paper, and trace its outline. Then, tilt the glasses until the front of the lenses are resting on the paper, and trace the lens outline. Tilt again to trace the other earpiece. You should now have a flat outline of your glasses.
- Step 2: Make eye openings Draw circles in the center of the sketch for eye openings. Cut out the circles.
- TIP: For extra flair, draw different shapes for the eyeholes, like hearts, stars, or octagons.
- Step 3: Draw the new year in numbers Sketch the number of the new year around these openings. Add designs to the top of the prototype, above the lenses.
- Step 4: Make cutouts Cut around the numbers so they stand out.
- Step 5: Try on the glasses Try on the glasses to see how they look. Make sure the eye holes are big enough for you to see through and in the correct location, and check that the sides fit securely over your ears.
- TIP: You may have to make several sketches before you get a perfect prototype.
- Step 6: Trace sketch onto cardboard Once you have a good prototype, trace it onto the cardboard or poster paper and make the cutouts.
- Step 7: Decorate Decorate however you like. Now go ring in the New Year in style!
- FACT: In 1991, two guys who noticed that the nines in 1991 provided perfect eyeholes invented the popular number New Year's Eve glasses.
You Will Need
- A pair of sunglasses
- Drawing paper
- A pencil
- Cardboard or poster paper