- Step 1: Establish a goal and vision Establish a goal and a vision for your portfolio by understanding who your audience is, what you want to show them, and what type of response you’d like.
- Step 2: Select your best work Select your best work to include in the portfolio. Use only finished prints that are matted, signed, dated, and titled.
- Step 3: Be sure prints are free of fingerprints Be sure your prints are free of fingerprints, and that mats are well cut with straight lines.
- Step 4: Find a critic Get a friend or colleague to critique your work to ensure it is well edited. A second pair of eyes always helps.
- TIP: Know what the viewers of your portfolio want to see, and tailor it as needed. Keep several selections of work for specific audiences.
- Step 5: Create a digital portfolio Create a digital portfolio with scanned documents and digital photographs. House these on your computer in a folder titled "Portfolio."
- FACT: Did you know? About 63 percent of artists work as self-employed professionals.
You Will Need
- Document scanner
- Digital camera