- Step 1: Set a decorating budget Set a reasonable budget based on the size of the project and the amount you can actually afford to spend.
- Step 2: Look at decorating magazines and catalogs Look through interior decorating magazines or online catalogs for ideas and decorating tips. Cut out or print pictures of ideas you like and make a file.
- TIP: Bring pictures when you shop. Pictures can go a lot further toward describing a look you want.
- Step 3: Determine a color scheme Determine a color scheme. Study color schemes to determine the feelings they evoke, and the effect they have on the sense of a room's proportion.
- Step 4: Make a list Make a list of items to purchase, staying within the budget.
- TIP: You can find bargains at flea markets and garage sales – someone else's junk can be your treasure.
- Step 5: Draw a sketch Sketch out a few different layout ideas. Be playful with furniture layout and art arrangement until you find what works for you.
- Step 6: Make it your own Trust your instincts, and use decorating as an opportunity to showcase your personal style.
- FACT: Did you know? The term flea market comes from the legend that vendors used to sell flea-infested clothes and rags.
You Will Need
- Decorating magazines and catalogs
- Internet access
- List of essentials
- Flea markets and garage sales (optional)