- Step 1: Shift the subject Shift the subject by listening for words in a conversation that can lead you to a memorable or funny situation off the current topic.
- Step 2: Distract the speaker Distract the speaker by asking if they or anyone listening to the conversation needs a drink or a snack.
- TIP: Be polite by saying, "Excuse me," first.
- Step 3: Ask a question Ask a question that is designed to change the focus of the conversation.
- Step 4: Give a compliment Give a compliment to the speaker about their appearance, weight, outfit, or overall look.
- Step 5: Mention changing the subject Mention bluntly that you are going to change the subject. Use a smile to keep it from being more uncomfortable than it may already be and talk about something positive.
- FACT: Did you know? More than four in 10 teenagers polled say things over instant message that they wouldn't say in person.
You Will Need
- Listening skills
- Quick thinking
- Politeness (optional)