- Step 1: Take the check to the bank Take your check to your banking institution.
- Step 2: Sign in space allotted Sign your check in the designated area only. The back of the check will tell you where to sign your name.
- Step 3: Sign your name exactly the way it appears on the front of the check.
- Step 4: Write account number Write your bank account number below your signature.
- TIP: Sign or endorse your check in front of the teller at the bank.
- Step 5: Write "For deposit only" Write "For deposit only," under your account number when mailing your check to the bank, or when someone else is depositing it for you.
- FACT: Did you know? A 1988 Federal law limited the endorsement portion of the back of a check to 1½ inches.
You Will Need
- A bank
- A check made payable to you
- A pen
- Your bank account number