- Step 1: Combine corn starch and broth Pour three-quarters of a cup of the chicken broth into a small bowl. Add the corn starch and mix together. Then set it aside.
- Step 2: Boil remaining chicken broth Put the remaining chicken broth in a large saucepan and add the ginger, chives, and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
- TIP: For a lighter dish, use fat-free chicken broth.
- Step 3: Whisk eggs Use a fork to whisk the eggs and the egg yolk in a small bowl. Add the eggs to the boiling broth a little at a time, letting the egg drizzle from the fork. Cook until the eggs are opaque, about one to two minutes.
- Step 4: Stir cornstarch Remove half a cup of the soup into a measuring cup or bowl. Stir in the cornstarch until there are no lumps, and then pour the mixture back into the soup. Stir, and continue boiling until the soup thickens.
- Step 5: Enjoy Enjoy your egg drop soup. Don't forget the fortune cookies!
- FACT: Did you know? The entire time from a hen's ovulation to laying an egg is about 25 hours. About 30 minutes later, the hen will begin to lay another egg.
You Will Need
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. chives
- u00bc tsp. salt
- 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- Fat-free chicken broth (optional)
- Fortune cookies (optional)