- Step 1: Decide how to organize Decide how to categorize the items you will be alphabetizing, such as by subject, by author, or by title.
- Step 2: Begin with first letter Arrange each item in each category from A to Z, beginning with the first letter of the name of the item.
- Step 3: Alphabetize by last name Alphabetize people by last name, first name, then middle name or initial.
- TIP: Alphabetize hyphenated names as one name.
- Step 4: Alphabetize abbreviations Alphabetize abbreviations as full words.
- Step 5: Alphabetize numbers Alphabetize numbers as if they were spelled out.
- Step 6: Continue with the second letter Continue to alphabetize each item with the second letter of the name of the item, then the third, until all items are placed in correct alphabetical order.
- FACT: Did you know? As many as 15 to 20 percent of the population exhibits some symptoms of dyslexia.
You Will Need
- Organizational skills