- Step 1: Contact card company Call your credit card company.
- Step 2: Ask for better deal Ask nicely if they will lower your interest rate.
- TIP: Remind them of your history with them and consistent on-time payments.
- Step 3: Present other offers Mention other, more appealing offers you have received from their competitors.
- Step 4: Ask for a settlement Ask them if they will agree to a reduced settlement.
- : Settling on a credit card debt for lower than what you owe will hurt your credit score.
- Step 5: Improve your credit rate Improve your credit rating, which can get you a better interest rate, by paying bills and minimum balances on time, and by checking your credit reports for incorrect information and correcting them.
- FACT: Did you know? In 2008, 84 percent of undergraduates had at least one credit card.
You Will Need
- A phone