- Step 1: Write a division problem Write a division problem by dividing the unknown percentage of the total by the total.
- TIP: When you are calculating a percentage less than 100, always divide the smaller number by the larger number.
- Step 2: Complete the division Complete the computation using long division. The result – or quotient – will include a decimal.
- Step 3: Multiply by 100 Multiply the resulting quotient by 100 to convert it to a percentage. This is the percentage of the original amount.
- TIP: Move the decimal point in the quotient two places to the right to multiply by 100.
- Step 4: Pick up the check Pick up the check. You no longer have an excuse to be a lousy tipper!
- FACT: Did you know? The percent symbol can be traced back to the 15th century, when it was used in business transactions.
You Will Need
- A pen or pencil