- Step 1: Don't lean on booze Don't use alcohol or drugs as a crutch to loosen you up. They may lower your inhibitions, but research shows it can also lead to risky sexual behavior you could regret.
- Step 2: Use your imagination Use sexual fantasies to transport you to a place where you aren't so self-conscious.
- Step 3: Have privacy Make sure you have privacy. One in three Americans polled said that worrying about being overheard inhibits their performance.
- Step 4: Take up tantric sex Try some tantric sex techniques. An ancient Eastern spiritual practice, tantra involves breathing exercises, chanting, meditation, and delayed sexual gratification that helps partners relax.
- TIP: Begin a regular fitness routine -- studies indicate that regular exercisers have more satisfying sex.
- Step 5: Find an "icebreaker" If you don't have a sexual partner, consider finding one with whom you have no desire for a romantic or long-term relationship. You'll be able to experiment without fear of embarrassment or rejection.
- Step 6: Get therapy Consider getting sex therapy. Make sure the counselor is a board-certified sex therapist or sexologist.
- FACT: When otherwise heterosexual male fruit flies get drunk, their sexual inhibitions get so low that they try to have sex with both male and female partners.
You Will Need
- Sexual fantasies
- Tantric sex
- Sex therapy
- Exercise (optional)
- A sexual partner with no emotional connection (optional)