- Step 1: Use quotation marks Place quotation marks around any phrases or words you borrow directly from another source.
- Step 2: Paraphrase Attribute any ideas you take from other sources to their originators. Rephrase in your own words, but mention where they came from.
- TIP: Although plagiarism is a violation of professional ethics, most examples fall short of copyright infringement, a legal offense.
- Step 3: Keep notes Keep your own ideas separate from those of others by taking notes as you read.
- FACT: Did you know? Plagiarism comes from the Latin plagiarius, which means "kidnapper."
You Will Need
- An original text source
- Notebook or note paper