- Step 1: Cut the tofu Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- TIP: Use firm tofu. The firmer the tofu is, the better it will hold its shape when handled. Firm and extra firm tofu can be deep fried and added to stir fries, while softer types are blended better or crumble better.
- Step 2: Heat the oil Pour the sesame oil into a frying pan so there is about ¼-inch of oil covering the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil on medium heat.
- Step 3: Add tofu cubes to oil Place the tofu cubes into the heated oil. Sear the cubes on the top and bottom to a golden brown to ensure even cooking.
- TIP: Make sure your tofu is dry before placing it in the oil, Water from the tofu can cause the oil to splatter.
- Step 4: Remove tofu from the oil Remove the tofu from the oil with the slotted spoon and place the cooked tofu onto paper towels.
- Step 5: Serve and enjoy Serve the fried tofu on salads, with pasta, or by itself.
- FACT: Four ounces of firm tofu contains 13 grams of soy protein.
You Will Need
- Sesame oil
- A frying pan
- A slotted spoon
- Paper towels