- Step 1: Rinse lentils Rinse the lentils thoroughly, and then drain. Place them in the large saucepan with the turmeric, salt, cayenne pepper, and ginger.
- Step 2: Add water Add 1 inch of water and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- TIP: Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Step 3: Microwave oil, cumin, and onion Combine the oil, cumin, and onion in a small microwave-safe dish and microwave for 1 minute.
- Step 4: Combine ingredients Carefully pour the mixture over the lentils, and then mix to combine.
- Step 5: Serve with naan Tear off a piece of naan, scoop up some daal, and enjoy.
- FACT: A Tufts University study on aged garlic extract suggests that it may help prevent cardiovascular disease.
You Will Need
- 1 c. red lentils
- Large saucepan
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1" slice peeled ginger
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 tsp. dried onion
- Small microwave-safe dish