- Step 1: Set it up Before your audience arrives, tuck the duplicate card into the bottom of the envelope… And fold the envelope over so the side with the writing is covered. Now put the three cards into the top part of the folded envelope, and stick the whole package in your pocket.
- Step 2: Take out the envelope In front of your audience, pull the envelope out of your pocket and quickly put it writing-side down on the surface. Boast that it's really not all that hard to read someone's mind.
- Step 3: Select a card Quickly pull just the three cards out of the top part of the envelope and place them face up on the table.
- TIP: Make sure the spectator doesn't see the the X on the back of the one card.
- Step 4: Build suspense Ask an audience member to tap on the card of their choice. Build suspense by asking if they're sure they want that card. Offer to allow them to pick another.
- Step 5: Reveal No matter which card they finally settle on, tell them you knew they’d choose it — then prove it. If they chose the card with the 'X', flip it over & reveal your ‘prediction’ mark; the 2nd card, flip over the envelope to reveal your written prediction; the 3rd card, reach into the envelope and pull out proof you read their mind – the same card!
- FACT: Magicians who specialize in mind reading are known as mentalists.
You Will Need
- Three playing cards
- one with a large X written on the back
- An envelope w/ the words "You will choose" & name of 2nd card written on it
- A duplicate of the third card
- A flat surface