- Step 1: Scrunch up newspapers When you finish reading your daily newspaper, take the pages and scrunch them up with your hands one page at a time. This gives your wrist and finger muscles a workout to keep them limber.
- Step 2: Flex fingers and wrists Prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and hand pain. Hold your arms in front you, with your hands poised as if to push. Stretch your fingers for five seconds. Drop your hands forward and relax your fingers. Next, make tight fists and hold them for five seconds. Finally, bend your wrists so your fists face down; hold them for five seconds.
- Step 3: Move your eyes Avoid eyestrain with this daily exercise. Look up, look down; look up to the right and down to the left; look up to the left and down to the right; look up and then circle the room with your eyes, clockwise. Then do it again, counterclockwise. Finally, rub your hands together until they're warm and cup them over your eyes for one minute.
- Step 4: Take up a sport Play a sport. Most professional gamers are extremely athletic; traditional sports like soccer and basketball help sharpen skills needed to excel at video games, like quick reflexes, good timing, and strategic thinking.
- Step 5: Play catch with yourself Spend some time every day throwing a baseball up in the air and catching it; this will improve your hand-eye coordination.
- TIP: For the most intensive hand-eye coordination training, play tennis. It's no coincidence that professional video gamer Fatal1ty is an accomplished tennis player.
- Step 6: Try boxing To increase hand speed, get a punching bag and try boxing a few times a week.
- FACT: Cyber Team Singapore got in shape for the 2005 World Cyber Games with the help of a personal trainer, who devised a fitness and nutritional program for each member.
You Will Need
- A daily newspaper
- Hand and eye exercises
- A sport
- A baseball
- Boxing gloves
- A punching bag
- Tennis instruction