- Step 1: Vacuum floor Vacuum your floor thoroughly to remove any loose dirt or grime.
- Step 2: Mix solution For an unsealed floor, mix the vinegar into the bucket of warm water. For a sealed floor, mix the mild soap into the water instead.
- TIP: Sealed tile floors should be waxed once a year -- and stripped, re-sealed, and re-waxed every few years.
- Step 3: Scrub stains If there are any stains, use the cleaning solution and the plastic-bristled brush to scrub them away.
- Step 4: Soak mop Soak the mop in the bucket containing the cleaning solution, then ring it out.
- TIP: Check warnings or recommendations from the tile's manufacturers before using a commercial cleaner.
- Step 5: Mop floor Mop the floor.
- Step 6: Fill bucket with water Empty the cleaning solution and fill the bucket with clean water.
- Step 7: Rinse floor Mop the floor again to rinse, making sure not to mop yourself into a corner.
- Step 8: Let floor dry Allow the floor to dry, then take off your shoes and go for a stroll.
- FACT: In the West African country of Mauritania, it's traditional to eat sitting on the floor.
You Will Need
- A vacuum with a floor or brush attachment
- A bucket with 2 gal. of warm water
- A quarter c. of white vinegar or a quarter cup of mild soap
- A rag mop
- A brush with plastic bristles