- Step 1: Check floor Make sure your floor is sealed. If it's not, it's probably waxed and shouldn't be mopped. Check by rubbing a finger across it. If you don't leave a smudge, the floor is probably sealed.
- Step 2: Vacuum floor Vacuum or sweep the floor free of dust and particles.
- Step 3: Consult directions Consult the directions for your wood cleaning product and add the appropriate amount to the bucket of water.
- TIP: If you don't have a wood cleaning product, add a quarter cup of dishwashing liquid to your bucket instead.
- Step 4: Dampen mop Dampen the mop head in the bucket, then wring it out completely—the less water on your wood floor, the better.
- Step 5: Mop floor Push and pull the mop back and forth across the floor in the direction of the wood grain.
- Step 6: Wring out & mop Continue dampening the mop, wringing it out, and dragging it across the floor with the grain.
- Step 7: Change water Change the water and cleaning solution whenever it gets too dirty to be effective.
- Step 8: Rinse floor When the entire floor has been mopped, refill the bucket with just water and mop the floor again in the same way to rinse off any soap residue.
- Step 9: Stay off floors Stay off your floors until they've completely dried. Your Fairy Godmother would be so proud.
- FACT: Cinderella stories appear in the folklore of many cultures—there are as many as 1,500 different versions of the tale.
You Will Need
- A broom
- or a vacuum cleaner with a floor attachment
- A bucket of water
- Some wood cleaner or dishwashing liquid
- And a mop