- Step 1: Limit the time Keep track of the amount of time you spend in front of the TV by tracking it on a sheet of paper, and then limit your television time.
- Step 2: Turn it off Turn off the television while eating meals and engage in conversation instead.
- TIP: Remove televisions from bedrooms.
- Step 3: Exercise Engage in your favorite exercise, such as swimming, walking, or dancing.
- Step 4: Play games Play board or card games. Designate one weeknight as a game night for a fun-filled evening.
- Step 5: Read a book Read a book. Visit the library and find books that fit your interests.
- TIP: Check your local library to see if they lend audio books or music CD’s.
- Step 6: Have a party Host a party. Invite friends, family and neighbors. See if anyone shares an interest of yours and make plans to do it together.
- Step 7: Spend time on a hobby Join a group or take a class, such as drawing, photography, or playing a musical instrument.
- Step 8: Call someone Call a friend or family member you have not talked to in awhile.
- FACT: Children who watch two hours of television or more a day are more likely to be overweight than children who do not.
You Will Need
- A pen and paper
- Board and card games
- A hobby
- A phone
- Audio books and music CDs (optional)