- Step 1: Hold egg Wash your hands and hold the egg in your favored hand between your middle finger and thumb, resting your first finger along the egg's side.
- Step 2: Rap the egg With one swift, decisive motion, rap the egg on a flat surface or the edge of the bowl or skillet to make a clean horizontal crack in the side of the egg.
- TIP: Tapping softly several times causes the eggshell to break into smaller pieces, which means shell might end up in your meal.
- Step 3: Separate egg Use both of your thumbs to separate the shell on either side of the crack by pulling up and away at the crack.
- Step 4: Drop egg into bowl Let the contents of the egg fall into the bowl.
- Step 5: Look for pieces of shell Remove pieces of shell from the egg if necessary.
- FACT: Did you know? Egg whites are low in saturated fat and cholesterol and high in protein.
You Will Need
- Soap and water
- An egg
- A bowl
- Clean surface