- Step 1: Make a commitment Make a commitment to growing a beard. The process of going from clean-shaven to fully bearded usually takes at least four weeks.
- Step 2: Stop shaving Do not shave for at least the first four weeks while your beard grows.
- TIP: If your face gets itchy, use baby lotion to moisturize and soothe your skin.
- Step 3: Shampoo and condition Once the hair gets long enough, shampoo and condition your beard as you would the hair on your head.
- Step 4: Trim and shape Trim your beard into the shape that you want. This includes creating a neckline – the point under your jaw, at your neck – where your beard should stop.
- Step 5: Continue your efforts Continue your growing efforts for at least six weeks.
- Step 6: Sculpt and manicure Sculpt and manicure your facial hair into a goatee, Van Dyke, a chin curtain, or whatever you like.
- FACT: Did you know? Hans Langseth, a Norwegian immigrant to the U.S., had a beard measuring 17 feet 6 inches at his death in 1927. His beard was donated to the Smithsonian Institute in 1967.
You Will Need
- Beard trimmer or razor
- Baby lotion (optional)