- Step 1: Cast on Use your size eight needles and cast on 87 stitches.
- Step 2: Work one inch rib Work in the rib stitch for one inch. To rib stitch, knit the first stitch, place the yarn in front between the needles, and then purl the next stitch, putting the yarn behind your work. Repeat for one row.
- TIP: Use a crochet hook to pick up dropped stitches.
- Step 3: Rib second row Turn the needle over to rib the second row by starting with a purl stitch, putting the yarn behind your needles, and then knitting one stitch. Continue row one and row two for 1 inch.
- Step 4: Change needles Change to the number nine needles and knit the entire first row. Purl the entire second row. Continue for 6 inches, ending with a purl row.
- Step 5: Shape top Knit three stitches, knit three together, and repeat across one row. Purl the second row as usual, and continue decreasing rows in this way until you have seven stitches left.
- Step 6: Cut Cut the yarn, leaving 15 inches, and thread through the yarn needle. Then pull the seven stitches off the needle and pull the yarn needle through these stitches. Pull tight until it is closed at the top.
- Step 7: Sew seam Fold the hat, right sides together; making sure the bottom edge is flush. With the needle and yarn at the top of the hat, sew the edges together to form a seam down to the bottom. Tie a knot at the end, cut any excess thread, and turn hat inside out.
- FACT: Younger knitters – aged 25 to 34 – make up 33 percent of the 38 million people who knit or crochet in the U.S.
You Will Need
- 3 oz. 4-ply yarn
- 2 size 8 knitting needles
- A measuring tape
- A yarn needle
- A crochet hook (optional)