- Step 1: Find a private, quiet place Find a quiet, relaxing place, free from potential interruptions.
- Step 2: Use words to feel positive Prepare a word or a one-sentence mantra to repeat to yourself to signal your positive, specific intention to enjoy the moment and your life.
- Step 3: Breathe in and out slowly Close your eyes. Breathe in for a count of six, hold your breath for a three count, and release the breath for six again. Repeat as many as 10 times.
- TIP: Visualize the inward breaths as accepting the good in your life and the exhalations as releasing anger and frustration.
- Step 4: Visualize your descent Count backward, visualizing the numbers as a descent down a stairway or an elevator, or floating down a valley. Use a mantra or word like "Relax" to replace the numbers as you go.
- Step 5: Contemplate your problem Contemplate your problem and, repeating affirmations, how you will solve it. Visualize writing the problem on a paper that vanishes in flames.
- Step 6: Reverse the count Reverse the count to return to consciousness. Start with one and accompany it with an affirmation. Open your eyes and keep saying encouraging things to yourself.
- TIP: You can use hypnosis to change self-defeating thought patterns, to stop smoking, or for any effort at self improvement.
- Step 7: Repeat this process Repeat this process regularly as a method to stay focused and peaceful through stressful times.
- FACT: Sigmund Freud used hypnotism in his psychoanalysis before moving on to his technique of free association.
You Will Need
- A quiet place
- A mantra
- Breathing techniques
- Visualization techniques