- Step 1: Get into position Extend your hand, make a fist, and open your fingers enough to grasp the fingers of your opponent's same hand.
- TIP: Use your dominant hand.
- Step 2: Begin the game Lay your thumb on top of your closed fist. Then each player taps their thumb on alternating sides of their fists while reciting, "1, 2, 3, 4, we declare a thumb war, 5, 6, 7, 8, try to keep your thumbs straight."
- Step 3: Attack Go in for the attack, trying to pin your opponent's thumb under yours.
- Step 4: Watch opponent's moves Watch your opponent's moves closely. Learn to predict their moves to avoid being pinned.
- TIP: Try to be unpredictable with your movements.
- Step 5: Focus Focus on your opponent's thumb, and block out everything else. Let nothing distract you.
- Step 6: Go in for the win Lunge for your opponent's thumb with yours when you see an opening. If you can pin your opponent's thumb down for five seconds, you win.
- FACT: Did you know? Twenty-five to 50 percent of two- to four-year-olds suck their thumbs.
You Will Need
- An opponent